Monday, December 14, 2009

It's beginning to SMELL a lot like Christmas

We’ve had the cold weather, and the decorations, now it’s time for some good old fashioned Christmas baking! I grew up in a house that was always filled with an array of beautiful candies and desserts during the holidays. There were a few staple items that we saw every year. One of the most sought after cadies that she made was divinity! This white candy concoction is fairly temperamental. The weather has to be just right and you have to hold your breathe and stand on one leg while you make it. Well perhaps I’m exaggerating, but the weather part is true. While divinity is quite popular in our family, it’s not my favorite. My favorite candies made by my mother are pralines! Mmm…you can’t go wrong with one of those! It’s just pure sugar and butter with the occasional pecan floating in it! I don’t have much need for the pecans! It’s always a good idea to be near by while my mom is making this so that you can get first dibs on the bowl! Those are a couple of the most memorable candies that my mom made.

Now it’s my turn to create traditions and memories for Mae. Last night I spent many hours in the kitchen cranking out delicious edibles! Some of the items are just recipes that I have become fond of, and others are recipes that Ashton grew up eating. Ashton’s mother also had a menu of items you knew would be around at Christmas. This year I made her haystacks and peanut clusters. I will probably go ahead and make her peanut brittle as well. This year from my own repertoire I am making pinwheel cookies, red velvet cake balls, fudge, cupcakes, Bundt cakes and countless other items. I try and spend a couple of days baking as much as I need to give as gifts and for the family to enjoy. If I don’t put a time limit on the baking, it could go on for days! I think people enjoy receiving delicious gifts that are made with love. Especially those people I know that have no desire to bake or create the wonderful items! There is something about a buffet of treats in the house that makes it feel like Christmas.

In addition to baking over the weekend, we managed to squeeze in a trip to see Santa. This is the first year that Mae actually knows what is going on. We took her to see Santa at Mrs. Bairds. They have a great Santa and the entire setup is great. As a bonus they give you donuts, milk, cocoa and cinnamon toast after you visit Santa! Mae was so excited once we got up to the front of the line. She acted a little nervous which made me think "this isn't going to be good". But then she ran up and hopped in his lap. She told him that she wanted a car, but she has since changed that request to a bike. I'm thinking Santa is more likely to get her a bike. We shall see! Have a mentioned that have a child is the best? It is!

1 comment:

  1. Those haystacks where so great! So simple but so yummy. I have to make the for Craig. Linc loved the little cupcakes, way to go baker!

    ReplyDelete