Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up

Another weekend has come and gone. This one however, was quite monumental in our household. Mae is officially a "Big Girl"! She is now potty trained. We dedicated all of Saturday to throwing Mae a "Potty Party". This is a one day, all day event where you disguise potty training as a party. We decorated the house like a party, made cake and even had presents. We invited those close to Mae to come over and encourage her on her big step towards being a big girl. I discovered this idea of a potty party online, and loved the idea of it, and obviously Mae did too!The day went flawless. Mae loved using the potty, and opening presents. She was allowed to drink and eat whatever she wanted and watch her potty video over and over...and over again. Mae has a recent fascination with Coke! So we loaded her up with it all day so she would maximize use of her potty. We even ended the day with our first outing wearing panties. She did great, and used the potty while we were out. In the days leading up to the potty party Mae started showing a lot of interest in the potty and used it a few times that week. It seems like it was all good timing!

Ashton and I took advantage of the time at home to also get some household stuff done. Back in February and March Ashton renovated the common areas of the house. He totally gutted the kitchen and re-did the living room. When all was done we just kind of stopped working on it. Ashton has just now recovered from all the work, and we worked on some of the detail work to get things totally complete. We hung our crown molding in the living room, painted the fireplace and front door. We also managed to get some things hung on the wall.

The only things missing from this room are the piano and an area rug. It will then be complete! I love it! Ashton also started doing some moldings in the kitchen. They should be done later this week. We also got a painting for the kitchen to take up some wall space. I'm still wanting to put up a few more things.


Sunday was obviously "Shower Day". We were having a wedding shower for my cousin at our home, and at the same time a longtime friend of mine was having a baby shower. Poor Ashton and Mae were kicked out of the house for the afternoon. They headed off to Fort Worth for some fun. They went to JJ's oyster bar. The obvious place to take a two year old. Mae had her first popcorn shrimp and Ashton said she loved it. After lunch he tried taking her to the Omni Theater, but this did not go over well. It proved to be a bit overwhelming for her, so they had to leave fairly quickly. They headed outdoors instead. They played on the playground and fed the ducks at the park. You can never go wrong with that.

I only stayed at the shower held at our home for about 20 minutes before heading to my friend's baby shower. I had a great time at the baby shower visiting with my girlfriends. I've known them all for well over 20 years.

My gift for the expecting mom was my FIRST EVER sewing project. I made a hooded towel for her baby boy. I'm really happy with the way it came out and look forward to making more soon! After the shower I went home to an empty, and clean house. You would have never known that there had been a shower there just a little earlier. We spent the rest of the evening hanging out and just enjoying each other. Now here we are starting another week. I'm sure it will be a great one!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy one! Congrats on the potty training. I love the towel, now you need to make Mae one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potty training is always an adventure, although my children are all grown up I just learned a new way to tackle the training to share with my best friend who is expecting. Thanks So Much!

    p.s.
    your little one is adorable!

    ReplyDelete